[Shop-talk] Time to rethink tool storage?

Mark Andy marka at maracing.com
Mon Jul 8 08:20:56 MDT 2019

Howdy,

Another recommendation for the 44" HF tool chest.  I've had one for years,
its still working just like when I bought it.  Given that everyone
recommends them, I don't think I was lucky, its just that good.  The 56"
one seems just as well made when I've played with them in the store:

https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-x-22-in-double-bank-red-roller-cabinet-64133.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/56-in-Double-Bank-Red-Roller-Cabinet-64165.html

They both have matching top chests.  Note that the 20% off coupons don't
work on these.  However, they sometimes appear in coupons of their own.

For smaller sets of tools or if you're a "roll my tools to my car" kinda
guy, their mechanic's carts are also good.

I also second the "single layer is easier to see to grab and when stuff is
missing" thing.

I really like the triangular single layer wrench holders.  The ones I have
are like this:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200371127_200371127

Don't get ones that "grip" your wrenches.  you want to be able to easily
pickup the wrench.

For sockets, I love the Hansen peg setups:
https://www.amazon.com/Hansen-Global-Metric-Socket-Storage/dp/B001C6NL52

By far the most dense yet still easily "grab-able" system I've used.
Obviously you need a deeper drawer for that to work (the top drawer on that
HF box is great).

YMMV.  I'm not a "grab an entire set of wrenches / sockets and go to the
car" type of person... I get the individual wrench / socket I need from my
box.

Mark