[Shop-talk] IR thermomemters

Old Dirtbeard dirtbeard at live.com
Thu Mar 7 10:06:48 MST 2019

Hi guys,

I want to acquire a IR thermometer for motorcycle/automotive work--it does not need to be certified. I am looking at the Fluke 62 MAX Plus IR for about $144. I think it would be great.

Of course you can find IR thermometers like Etekcity Lasergrip 774 for $16 with similar specs.

Frankly I am more interested in buying a quality tools than saving money here, but I am curious for those of you who use them, what actual specs/features do you consider most relevant for day-to--day work in the shop?

For example, I have notions of using it for monitoring exhaust temperatures on motorcycle engines for tuning purposes, so I am thinking a scale of >1000 degrees F probably would be useful.

To be frank, I probably also will use for home heating, insulation, etc., work as well.

I would appreciate feedback on any of your experiences.  Thank you.

best,

doug