[Shotimes] what about a 540?

Mark Nunnally manunnal@netheaven.com
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:29:20 -0500

> I'm not even sure what "typical" SHO maintenance costs are!!

    I agree w/ Ron that past maintenance has everything to do with
everything, especially on these cars!  Suzanne's 91 (that we bought not
running, put in a motor, etc) I've spent way more on parts on that car than
my 92, just to try to get it up in top shape.   Years of neglect (not abuse,
just neglect) tend to wear down other parts and components as well.
    My 92 was in pretty solid shape when I bought it at 62k.  It needed a
60k (had new plugs) but the oil had been changed regularly, so at 100k when
I got around to it, the cams were still in great shape and in spec.  It's
hard to put an exact $$ amount on a car that's a "hobby" and that you
upgrade, I tried to do upgrades as things wore out (suspension, brakes,
bushings, etc) but overall my 92 in 110k of miles w/ me behind the wheel has
been a very reliable car.  In 7 yrs and 100k, been through 1 rad, most of
the coolant lines (lol, bum t-stat), fuel pump, an A/C line and R12 charge
($450 or so total back in '97), 1 clutch replacement (since I've owned),
coupla motor mounts, a starter, and I've had to swap in a few spare alts,
and a few misc small things.  And of course the normal things that any car
gets, a battery, brake pads, tires, timing belt, few 60k parts, etc.  I
guess when you lump it all in a sentence it looks like a lot, but over
110,000 miles that's really not much for a car that got driven hard on the
track.  And if you do the work yourself, it's just the cost of parts, which
for the SHO aren't that bad with some of the good SHO vendors (SHO NUT, etc)
    Even though the 91 was clean, it's taken time and more $$ in parts to
get it up to par.  For a daily driver SHO I'd say find a SHO that's clean
AND well maintained and pay a little more, instead of trying to play catch
up.  In the long run you'll save time and $$.

mark