[Shotimes] She starts when S

Michael S Wojton Mike.Wojton@owens-ill.com
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:03:00 -0500

Wow, are you jobless or something!?  Where did you find THAT much
time to write such a large essay?  ; )

Mike Wojton
'95 MTX
Toledo, Ohio
shomike@tri-statesho-svt.org

K&N sans silencer cone
SHO Shop Y-pipe

"Avoid the clap." - Jimmy Dugan

------------------( Forwarded letter 1 follows )---------------------
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:46:08 -0500
To: BulDawg78@aol.com, shotimes@autox.team.net
From: Mark.D.Mallory[mmallory78]@earthlink.net
Sender: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] She starts when She want's too----

Hard to say... your best bet would be to check the codes first.  Most likely
you've got a problem with one of three things, Crankshaft Position Sensor,
Camshaft Position Sensor, or DIS.  Here's what we know:

Dead DIS = No start
Dead Crank Sensor = No start
Dead Cam Sensor = Possible No start

Both the Cam and Crank sensor *should* throw a code... however doesn't
happen all the time.  The DIS should throw a code (I think).  If the Cam
sensor is dead, the car will still start, however keep this in mind.  The
cam sensor gives the computer timing information without which the computer
simply guesses which cylinder to fire first.  Wrong guess = no start (or
stumble and won't run) Correct guess = car will run (possibly very poorly).

Bad Crank sensors tend to give people trouble when the engine (and sensor)
is hot.  Some have indicated that a leaking water pump can short, or
temporarily short, the sensor causing the engine to completely quit running.
With a dying crank sensor, people have also reported that letting the car
sit for 10 minutes to 10 hours will allow the car to run.  (Possibly from
the sensor drying out if it shorted due to a coolant leak... possibly from
the sensor merely cooling off)

Bad Cam sensors tend to give people trouble any time, any place.  The most
common symptoms are that the sensor will give out while driving, in which
case the engine will buck and sputter due to the loss of timing information.
Sometimes the computer or sensor can recover and other times not.  If the
either recovers the engine will run as if nothing had happened.  If neither
recovers then the engine will die.  Restarting is a matter of how many times
you try.  Can take one or ten or more tries to get it restarted (as long as
the battery holds out!)

The DIS... well without it you don't go.  Afraid that's all I know about it.

The cheapest solution is to replace the Cam sensor since they can be had for
about $35 from most auto parts stores.  Replacement can be done in a
relatively short time.  It's located on the passenger side near the fire
wall.  Bear in mind that without codes or other failures... this may not fix
anything.  If it is a bad crank sensor the car will fail again and most
likely leave you stranded.  These are the problems that cause most SHO
owners a ton of money.

Keep us posted on the problem and we can advise as needed.

Mark Mallory
Toledo, Ohio
'95 SHO MTX