[Shotimes] insurance question

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:34:00 -0600

Nancy,

With an insurance company, their first offer is usually
flexible to some degree.  Just don't sign anything yet.

Get some ammunition....NO not shotgun shells, but information!

Get records of what you paid for the car, any work you did
on it.  Pictures of it before it was wrecked.

Then research what they are being advertised for, go to
SHOclub.com to the classfieds, and pull out any ads that are
on the high side of cars similar to yours.

Then visit the two on-line price guides, kbb.com and edmunds
.com.  Get pricing from them.  If it is more than the
insurance company is offering, then use it, if less, then
forget it.

Then go in and talk to the adjuster or whoever is in charge
and argue till you turn blue.  Keep it civil, but let them
know that the car is worth MORE!

Chances are they will pay you for the car, if they mentioned
it to begin with.

Might be a good idea to read your insurance policy (take an
aspirin first!) and see if you can make heads or tails of it.

Most times, you can get them to come up some, how much
depends on how good a case you make.

Oh, and don't tell them you named your car Satan!  ;)

Don Mallinson