[Shotimes] "Soul"

Ron Nottingham nottingham@alltel.net
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:34:58 -0500

A car with "soul" will have "soul" from the first time you drive it.  As
soon as you start the engine, put it in gear, and take off.  "Soul" does not
come from time.  I've had cars that never had "soul" from the moment they
were purchased, and never developed "soul", even though they were a blast to
drive.  You do not build "soul" into a car, it is born with it.  It comes
from the caring engineer's hand and the pridefilled assemblers' hands.  It
includes the engineer in charge of designing the dash screws and goes
through the engineer in charge of testing prototypes.  It all starts with a
caring attitude in the mind of the person whose idea it was originally.

Stop and ponder all the cars that have "soul", and I am willing to bet that
the person that penned the original idea has an extremely deep feeling for
cars.

The first time I ever drove a SHO, I knew right then, these cars had "soul",
even though my feelings for a Taurus were very low.  The Nissan Maxima is a
great looking car (to me anyway), and really stirs my soul, it excites me
when I see one, and I would really love to have one, BUT the Maxima has no
"soul".  Even though the Maxima is as good as a SHO, has a better driving
"feel", and is a much better chassis, better designed in every way (my
feelings about the car), I choose a SHO to own.  A SHO was my second choice,
not my first, that distinction belongs to the Maxima.  To this day, my wife
always asks me why I just don't go ahead and buy a Maxima, as I am always
looking at them (or was, until I moved to the "Dark Side" with BMW's :-),
but I can't force myself to make payments on something that I only truly
enjoy from the outside (even though the new Maxima has far better
performance than my SHO on paper).  For now, the only cars that really get
me going, and I am prepared to buy are BMW's, T-birds (80's & 50's), SHO's,
Capri's (80's), and XR4Ti's :-)

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO