[Shotimes] "Soul"

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:12:14 -0600

I have just jumped into a new car (or new to me used car)
and fallen in love right away.

The first time I drove my 87 LX Mustang,(brand new) I knew
it was right.

The new Mazda 626 five-door turbo was also instant love.  A
balky clutch proved its downfall.

The '89 SHO was love in the first 100 feet, and it was the
first time I had ever driven a SHO.  It was used, with
45,000 miles in 1991. It still does the exact same thing for
me 133,000 miles and 12 years later.

The 1966 Grand Prix with measles-looking paint spots all
over it, was love at first sight with bad shocks and all.  I
knew the potential was there.  Again, same feeling 15 years
later.

I think it is different for everyone, but for me I guess it
is a combination of the colors, feel, sounds, looks, even
smells.  It all counts as part of the driving experience.

A car that I am not in love with at first drive, will never
be a favorite of mine. I might buy it, but it won't stick
around long, it may just fill a temporarly need.

This is why I feel justified when I "review" a car for
SHOclub or the magazines I write for.  I can say with
confidence if they will or won't ever be a favorite of mine.
  If it is right, I will know it right away.

Don Mallinson