[Shotimes] OT Mid '90's Windstars maint. question OT

Ron DeReus dereus@fbx.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:57:11 -0600

Sorry for the late reply, but we really like our '96.  Bought it with 24,000
miles on it and have 68,000 on it now.  The head gaskets were redone
starting in '96, I believe, so '95's and earlier would have been recalled,
as George suggested.  I've never heard anything about the trannies being any
worse than any other Ford automatic.  (Sigh - not that this is a good
thing...we did purchase an extended warranty on it in case of just such an
emergency.)

As an alternative, as long as you don't tow a trailer in OD, I've known a
couple people to get over 200,000 miles on an Aerostar before having tranny
issues.  Good thing ugliness and reliablity aren't related.

Ron DeReus
'95MTX
'96 Windstar

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Scott Sweeney
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 1:00 PM
To: Kirk Doucette; Noah South III; SHOTimes-Mailing List
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] OT Mid '90's Windstars maint. question OT

I am getting tired of having to borrow other people's equipment when I want
to move things around and I ran across a '95 Windstar with 95K on the ODO.
Looks to be in great shape and drives true.  Bit I seem remember hearing
horror stories about the trannies.

Guess I am looking for anybody's experience (either direct or second hand)
with these vehicles (good or bad) as I know very little about them.

-Sweeney
 Kirk Doucette <Kirk.doucette@verizon.net> wrote:I think they use the bullet
proof AX4N..

Sorry that was a joke, they do use the AX4n and is the same transmission as
the Gen3 SHO uses, Minus the shorter gears in the windstar, and a few extra
goodies placed in the SHO version. Still a worthless tranny.

What kind of help do you need?

Kirk J Doucette
Stormtrooper
97 White