[Shotimes] Suspension/steering question +extras

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 17:34:41 -0800

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:09:46 -0500, Jeremy Grimm wrote:

>But after I reassembled things I noticed that my handling has decreased. The
>torque steer seems worse, bump steer seems to have increased, and the car
>feels like it pops off the ground more readily than it used to when I hit
>bumps in the road (specially under moderate to hard accel).
>
>The other thing that I have noticed is that the car does not like to shift
>into 1st and 2nd as smoothly as it used to. I have to push the stick much
>farther to the left before it slides in smoothly.

It sounds like that the engine/tranny combination is not in the right position in
the car.  Jim White had this problem a year ago (couldn't get the car to sit right
with the right springs installed), and it turned out to be a problem with his motor
mounts.  I'd check your motor mounts, subframe bushings, and whatever else you can
find down there that hold things in place.  Compare the angles of your rack and
steering components with a known good car, and compare the heights of the pan
relative to the bottom of the subframe, if the subframe itself is in the right
place.

The fact that your shifter is way off in position says the tranny might not be
located where it is supposed to be, too.

George