[Shotimes] RE: Shotimes digest, Vol 1 #1393 - 14 msgs (fwd)

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:34:03 -0500

"Higher standard of quality"?????? Hahahahhaha!!

Thanks, I needed a laugh today!!

Ask the CA folks with the blown-up supercharged SHO motors about the
"consistent" (more like "serious lack of consistency") gas. Not just the
fact that you are limited to 91 octane, but the octane appears to be very
uneven, so you can't even count on getting 91 if your motor is tuned for
that.

CA runs it's own blend of RFG, but basically carries a LOT of oxygenate
(MTBE, methanol, or ethanol), so you basically have a lot of alcohol in the
fuel.

Alcohol has one minor upside, in that it can dilute water and other crap in
your fuel, so you have a lessened chance of getting "bad gas", which is a
big slug of water, in many cases.

Your high gas prices are the penalty you pay for having your own gas blend.

Check Engine light can be a lot of things, and getting it two tanks in a
row, and the car still drove OK, leads me to believe that it was anything
BUT "bad gas".

If you leave the state, gas up somewhere in the wide open spaces (where the
EPA isn't watching as closely). You will pay much less for gas, and for that
privilege you will probably also notice better starting, smoother idling,
better power AND better economy.