[Shotimes] (OT) Why can't we get them here?

John Miller jem@milleredp.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:02:34 -0800

> Great sounding car isn't it!  I posted a message about this car a few
> months back, 390 HP & 384 ft/lb TQ with no supercharger.  Ford can use
> the 5.4l DOHC motor in a car outside the US but not here to match up with
> the GM 5.7l motor in the corvette/old Camaro/FB.  SHOtimes then got into
> a discussion about CAFE which is still bs if you ask me!

It's very similar to the 2000 Cobra R engine, some of the bottom-end parts
may not be quite so stout, I think its redline is 1000RPM short of the
Cobra R's 7000.

CAFE may be bs but Ford still has to live with it.  I'm sure Ford could
figure out how to sell 2000 of these things in the US if they wanted to.

> I like this statement "The Boss 290 was developed right here in Australia
> by Ford Performance Vehicles for our unique requirements and to meet the
> rising demands of a new breed of Aussie V8 drivers."  Jeez, Aussies must
> be raised differently then us here in the USA, they like TQ and Top-end
> HP too but it seems a lot more of it!

The Aussie Holdens and Falcons are real cars.  They're light-years better
than ANYTHING Ford or GM has EVER built in the US, excepting the C5.  They
have great structures, good RWD suspensions, etc.

The material quality's about halfway between BMW and US Ford, and they get
a LOT of room inside.

John.