[Shotimes] Hood question

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 22:41:44 -0600

Even if the plus hood is just 10 pounds lighter, I think it
is much better looking or at least distinctive.  If you have
never driven a plus, the first time you do, you will be
amazed at how big that "power bulge" or bump is on that hood.

When I first heard about the hood, I asked some of the
people in Florida involved with the Firehawk SHO's if Ford
had designed that hood for them.. In addition to lighter
(Even 10 pounds is very welcome on any race car!) it also
allows more room underhood for air movement, and cooling,
and something that I have wondered about, that higher hood
might even provide a tiny bit of downforce on the front end
for high speed cornering?  Maybe, just maybe.

But the race team members had never heard of the plus hood,
so it wasn't designed with the race cars in mind as some
special parts are.  Just some designers idea of something
special.  Maybe we can find out some day how that hood got
designed and put into the production mix.  IF anyone knows
for sure, or has contacts, let me know.  I would love to do
a story on it for the club and posterity.

Don Mallinson
SHO club