They're IDIOTS.....was: Re: [Shotimes] Almost death by SUV

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:47:51 -0800

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:09:49 EST, BJamesjr@aol.com wrote:

>I don't think people will ever catch on to this.

Nowadays, I don't think 'most' people (the ones who aren't driving enthusiasts,
whichever car they might like), catch on to much of anything having to do with
driving a car.  They act like they are either asleep, or just relaxing in their
loung chair in the den.   You glance at them when you pass, and they are asleep with
their eyes open.

There are less things to do at any given time, no radios to worry about, and there
is one less spacial dimension to deal with....but, especially in heavy traffic or in
bad weather, driving a fast car fast, which an enthusiast usually does (I'll admit,
I do), is not that far away from flying a fairly large (B737 size) airplane in
instrument conditions or in a complex terminal control area (or in combat!).....it
requires 360 degree mental attention all the time, awareness of the feel of the
wheel and pedals, knowledge of the capability of the vehicle should an emergency
situation arise, and anticipation of what the other traffic is going to do.    If
you don't believe that, come ride with me just once in a big storm.

(The reason I use a 'largeish' airplane as a comparison is that when the road is
soaking wet, visibility is way down due to mist and rain being tossed up by tires,
the wind is blowing, and all the lanes are full, the handling advantages of a well
set-up SHO are more or less negated, and any quick movements that the car could
otherwise make would most likely cause an accident due to loss of control or
collision....you hafta move SLOWLY and SMOOTHLY in that environment, like you would
an airliner, not a fighter.)

Ninety percent of the rest of the idiots out there can't handle it, which I'm sure
is why I saw someone crunched into the center divider every 15 minutes or so during
my one hour one-way commute the last 3 days while it has been raining and blowing
here so badly.   And I definitely was NOT the fastest one out there.....!

The time I have been able to spend on the track has been the most influencial thing
in changing me from one of 'them' to one of 'us', and for that, I am MOST grateful.

Rant over....

George