[Shotimes] Spring Rate Questions

Josh Salaets jsalaets@msn.com
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:19:54 -0800

Hey There,

A friend of mine bought a set of coilovers from IPT for his SHO this summer
and installed them on his car with a set of Konis.  He really likes the
adjustability of the coilovers, but isn't happy with the ride quality AT ALL.
He says it is WAY too stiff right now, and, as we all know, the Konis have a
hard time dampening high spring rates (I believe the kit comes with 600 lb/400
lb front/rear).

We have found a shop locally that has coilover springs in stock, so now it is
just a matter of figuring out which ones to get.  He drives the car every day
on the street, so he wants a softer ride, but also wants to take it to some
autocross events and possibly a track day or two next summer.

I and another friend have the Koni/Intrax combination on our cars, and he
likes the ride quality of our cars, so finding a spring rate that is close to
that of our Intrax springs would be ideal.  I can't find specs for the Intrax
springs, but Shotimes lists the Eibachs as being 150-260 lbs front, 150-194
lbs rear, with stockers being 200/160.  Shoshop claims the Intrax ride about
20% stiffer than stock, while the Eibachs are about equal to stock.

Here are the ratios I was thinking for the new springs:

    1.    250/200
    2.    300/250

I figure #1 would be ideal, as it is approximately 20% stiffer than stock,
which would mean the Konis could still dampen them (I've heard the stock Konis
can't handle more than 350 lb springs effectively).  The only problem is that
the car rides lower on coilovers than with Intrax or Eibachs, so a stiffer
spring may be necessary to keep the car from bottoming, which is why #2 is a
possibility.

What do you guys think?  Would coilover spring rates this low work, or would
we have problems?  Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Josh Salaets
95 SHO MTX (I SHO U)
85 Omni GLH-T (Yeah, it's fast)