Stupid TOP GUN quotes, was RE: [Shotimes] Plastic Hood Poll

Ron Nottingham nottingham@alltel.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 08:18:05 -0500

OK, I know this is OT, but I just can't help myself.....

What get's me about that movie (I do like it anyway), is the fact that they
send just F-14's out to DOGFIGHT a MiG-28 (ohhhh boy, MiG's are numbered
using ODD numbers)!  Now, where was the E-3? (I think that is it's
designation, the twin turboprop airborne control system)  Why not send the
F-18's along with the F-14's?  Hornets are much better dogfighters than
Tomcats.  Since they only sent Tomcats, though, why did they not use the
AIM-54 Phoenix?  I guess, maybe because they didn't have their "eyes".  Or
maybe because they wanted to use a Sparrow (Phoenix is a better missle to
use, as one does not have to be on the enemy's 6 or close to that
proximity).  Or something a little better than a Sparrow, especially in this
tight of a dogfight, why not the Sidewinder?

Oh well, it's just a movie...  I guess it wouldn't be "exciting" if it were
like real life.  E-3's acquire target, F-14's fly out, get good radar signal
from bogeys, launch AIM-54's from a safe distance, splash bogeys before they
even know somethings up, and return to the flight deck.

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO