Stupid TOP GUN quotes, was RE: [Shotimes] Plastic Hood Poll

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:53:02 -0500

E3 Hawkeye, eyes in the sky. Watch Behind Enemy Lines for more realistic
Naval aviation cinema. The first lines from that movie are from a
Hawkeye contacting the carrier about an "unknown rider".

The Phoenix is no longer produced. Many of them were found to be
defective and they were all retired from commission. It was an awesome
missile, but apparently it didn't work as planned. However, I think that
the Phoenix was still being used in 1986 when the movie was filmed. I
think that they tried to incorporate some heat seeking sidewinders in
the movie as well. It's difficult to tell since in one scene, an F14 is
carrying aux fuel tanks (which would have been dropped for less weight
and better maneuverability), the next shot it shows a camera mounted on
a pylon and then a few shots later, missiles are magically fired from
empty pylons.

I am not sure why the F18's weren't used. (there is a shot of one being
staged on a catapult, but we are supposed to think it's a Tomcat. (This
happened all the time in the movie, Crusaders, Intruders, Hornets all
being used interchangeably, an F14 taking off from land without a
catapult when its supposed to be launching form a carrier, etc)
 I suspect that in 1986 the Top Gun base in Miramar was mainly focused
on training F14 Tomcat aviators and that the F18's weren't fully on the
scene yet. It's not until recently with the demise of the A6 intruder
and military downsizing that the F18 has been transformed into a dual
role plane; carrying either light bomb loads or air to air weaponry for
fighter/patrol duties.

Watch Behind Enemy Lines; great movie.

Ian