[Shotimes] Gen2 ATX question

Ryan M. Dudek rmdudek@mindspring.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:47:17 -0500

>From v8sho.com.  At least this is how the AX4N works.  Responses I've gotten
thus far lead me to believe it applies to AX4S as well.

Ryan

Transaxle Range Selection--3.4L SHO

Vehicles equipped with the AX4N transaxle and a 3.0L (4V) or 3.4L SHO use a
transmission control switch (TCS). The shift quadrant has the following
positions: P, R, N, D, 2 and 1.

Park

No powerflow is transferred through the transaxle in PARK. A parking pawl
actuating rod assembly presses the parking pawl into the park gear on the
final drive sun gear. This locks the final drive and prevents the vehicle
from rolling. For safety reasons, the parking brake should always be applied
whenever the vehicle is parked.

Reverse

Allows the vehicle to be operated in a rearward direction, at a reduced gear
ratio. Engine braking is provided in REVERSE.

Neutral

As in PARK, there is no power transferred through the transaxle in NEUTRAL.
However, the final drive is not locked by the parking pawl assembly, so the
wheels are free to rotate. The engine may be started in NEUTRAL.

Drive

This position provides all automatic shifts for first through fourth gears.
This position also provides apply and release of the torque converter clutch
(TCC). Coast braking occurs in third gear.

Fourth (OD) gear can be removed from the shift schedule by depressing the
transmission control switch (TCS) on the transaxle range selector lever.
Shift schedule status is displayed on the instrument cluster by the
transmission control indicator lamp (TCIL) below the tachometer. If the TCIL
display reads "O/D OFF", overdrive has been removed from the shift schedule
and is not available. Depressing the TCS a second time restores overdrive to
the shift schedule.

Manual 2

This position provides second gear start. Application of the torque
converter clutch (TCC) may also occur in this range depending on transaxle
and vehicle conditions. This position can be selected when starting on
slippery roads for improved traction or engine braking.

Manual 1

Provides a first gear hold after automatic or manual downshift. The
transaxle is prevented from downshifting into first gear above a specific
speed (approximately 48 km/h (30 mph)) to protect the powertrain from
over-speeding. Engine braking is provided in 1 position making it especially
useful for descending steep grades.