[Shotimes] Davids First car

Ron DeReus dereus@fbx.com
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:31:58 -0600

Since we're talking first cars - I was 15, working for my folks, saving
money for a car, when my dad spotted a white on blue '73 Maverick w/aluminum
slot mags already on it.  Picked it up for $350 in 1985, I think.  Old
economy car, yes.  But the body was good (amazing for a Maverick in the
midwest with snow, salt, ack...), and, more importantly, a 302 with bad
timing chain, good ATX (we found out), and nice beige interior with buckets,
but no floor shift.  Was not a Grabber.  I learned a lot with that car;
unfortunately, didn't know enough to rebuild the 302, just repaired it as
needed.  I had to disconnect the kick down rod because if I pulled out to
pass someone and it downshifted, fuhgetabout it - 3500RPM's was about it.
If only I had rebuilt the heads and put a 4 barrel on it.  Hit my first deer
and dad and I started to fix it after trailering it home when I remembered I
had comprehensive insurance on it; local Chevy dealer, of all people,
rebuilt the front end.  Then got rear ended going to the community college
50 miles away; insurance totaled it, but I bought it back for $50 or so and
kept driving it since only the rear fenders were crumpled; unibody was
intact.  Did manage to sell it for $350 again in 1993 after putting over
100,000 miles on it.  Miss that car to this day; still think it was a
stealth Mustang.

(Missing a Maverick - hmmm - flame suit ready)

Ron DeReus
95MTX