[Shotimes] Removing wheel-less car body from driveway

James White greensho@crown.net
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:39:48 -0600

One thing that few people realize is that steel is the most commonly
recycled material.  All steel contains at least 20% post consumer recycled
(usually cubed up car bodies) and sometimes is 100% recycled for things like
bar joists and rebars.

In addition the steel making process uses a lot of processed slag that is
recycled into the both the blast furnace (makes iron) and the oxygen furnace
(makes iron into steel).

The nationwide average content of all steel is 37% recycled material.

Thinking that any steel is worth about $30/ton.  A shell should weigh about
that.  Copper and aluminum is worth more and is also recycled, but there
aren't a lot of pounds there.  Plastic and rubber are more of a problem..

Jim White - greensho@crown.net
Valparaiso, Indiana
'93  5 SPEED   276k few mods
'95  5 SPEED   229k lots of mods
"double clutch"  it's good for both you and your SHO