[Shotimes] 60k/Valve adj.

Kerry Kinion kerry@kinionfurniture.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:29:09 -0800

I went through and checked all clearances about 10 times over, so I am
pretty confident in my numbers at this point.  I know (because of you
guys) that the shims are re-useable if in good shape, but I just figure
if I've got it torn down this far I might as well put new ones in
because it's got 110k on it and I don't think this has been done before,
judging by the out of clearance specs I'm coming up with.  The Ford
Dealer I've been dealing with is Chuck Colvin Ford, McMinnville, OR..  I
have a little bit of an in because my uncle is the service mgr for our
local Chevy dealer and I just happened to get hooked up with someone in
the know and also willing to help a rookie!  McMinnville is pretty small
(probably 40k population) but Chuck Colvin Ford has been around forever
and has grown into a very good sized dealership.  I'll keep all you guys
filled in my progress and thanks again!

 Kerry Kinion
'93 Green MTX, 110k, Bone stock and sitting in the driveway for way too
long!

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark D. Mallory [mailto:mmallory78@earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 7:05 AM
To: Kerry Kinion; Shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] 60k/Valve adj.

> After returning all original shims to the same
> position, I did a second check of clearances for peace of mind. Most
of
> my second check #'s were within about a thousandth or two, but on cyl
> (intake) my first clearance check showed .008.  When I did my second
> check I got .016.  Has anyone run into this before?  It makes me a
> little nervous about feeling confident about what shim size I need to
> replace it with.

It's possible you had the feeler gage at too great of an angle when you
tried to measure it the first time.  I've done it before and that will
cause
the gage to get stuck or feel like it won't fit.  Don't loose
confidence...
like you said the car isn't going anywhere anyway.  After 24
measurements
you're bound to get things right!

Also, remember that the shims are reusable if the surface in good shape.
No
scratches, pits, or heavily worn spots.  Not you will see what appears
to be
light scratches on the surface, however as long as you can't feel them
they're ok to be re-used.  Usually you'll see that the "scratches" will
change as you wipe the shim.  Just marks in the oil.  If one side is bad
and
the other is good, you can flip the shim over.

> 2.	When the clearances are out of tolerance, what does this do in
> terms of performance of the engine?  (again, I am not much of a car
guy
> but am trying to learn - and having a good time in the process).

Not much of anything.  Now if you were fine (and I do mean fine) tuning
the
car it might be different.  Think of how little you're changing the
thickness of the shim, that's how much you're changing the valve lift
by.
In the end, you're not going to gain or loose much of anything.  Try to
keep
the clearances in the mid range.  Better to keep cam wear down than gain
very little (if anything) in performance.

> 3.	Are all the shims (primary/secondary, or left/right) the same
> diameter?  I didn't check this when they were out, so I thought I'd
ask.

Yes.

Good luck and congrats on getting down and dirty!  That was me about 3.5
years ago.  I learned a lot mostly because I just did it.  The
information
is out there and there's nothing to stop a guy from learning (and saving
whole bunch of green in the process).

Mark Mallory
Toledo, Ohio
'95 SHO MTX