[Shotimes] Battery/Alternator/Voltage question

Steve Tatro stevetatro@att.net
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:58:44 -0500

When you say "under load" you mean you had the engine running while in
park (neutral) at 1500rpm or you monitored that voltage while driving
around at 1500rpm?

The 13.5V I measured was while the car was idling (900rpm).

Are you suggesting that if I can't measure in the 14.5V range under load
then my alternator may be going?  Not that it would surprise me given
its age.

Thanks.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Paul Nimz
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 1:24 PM
To: stevetatro@att.net; SHOtimes
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Battery/Alternator/Voltage question

My recent experience was a14V and less under a load and at +1500 rpm.  I
was concerned and was told this is ok but one week later the alternator
failed.

With the new alternator, I get 14.3V to 14.5V with a full load and at
+1500 rpm.

12.6V is good for an open circuit battery.  The higher the voltage the
stronger the acid.

Paul Nimz
'97 TR SHO
'93 EG mtx SHO