[Shotimes] (OT) Road Tunes ...Top Gun

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:20:27 -0800

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 01:03:06 -0500, Ian Fisher wrote:

>I haven't seen anyone mention the TOP GUN sound track..anyone? Very
>dangerous CD, especially with tracks 1 and 2 while merging onto a
>highway. It'll make you want to hit triple digit speeds if you allow
>yourself to get caught up in it..

I was going to stay out of this until you mentioned the TG soundtrack.  A while
back, before I had CD Creator that lets me mix (sorta) music, I made a Top Gun Suite
on cassette that was four selections blended together.  I used the Anthem from the
movie, where the opening credits are, and kept the sounds of the airplanes landing
and taking off from the carrier. (That was COOL in the car!) Then when it merged
into 'Danger Zone' I blended the version off the record a minute or two into it
(this was a while back, and I didn't have the CD) so that I could keep the dialog
out.  Then it ended up with 'Lost That Lovin' Feeling' (with a couple of words of
dialog from Tom and his lady) and switched into 'Mighty Wings' for the end.  It was
about 15 minutes long, and sounded pretty good as I'd roar up the freeway to just
about anywhere.

I also did this with the first issue of the Star Wars soundtrack, blending the
opening credits selection, then one in the middle....maybe the cantina song....and
then ending with Darth Vader's theme, which merged into the awards scene and the
final end credits.

We're talking a LONG time ago (late '80s) for these mixes....the wagon doesn't even
have a cassette player anymore.

I also like to listen to Boston and Roxette....I made a CD I call 'Guitar Rock', and
it has the entire first side of the first Boston album, 'More than a Feeling', and
the others with it ('Peace of Mind', etc), then goes to Roxette's first album...'The
Look'...the mixed version of that off their video of a concert, then 'Dangerous',
'Must Have Been Love', 'Listen to your Heart', 'The Voice' (my favorite Roxette
song), then some Moody Blues, 'Your Wildest Dream', I Know You're Out There
Somewhere, and then finishes up with Boston's second album, 'Don't Look Back'.  I
listen to that CD more than anything else....I've made about 6 of them over time,
having given several away to friends.

I also like classical, country...Randy Travis does a really good job with 'It's just
a Matter of Time', and Martina McBride is pretty good with 'Independence Day' and
'Life Number Nine' (I have a couple of CDs compiled with videos from CMT)...and,
along with Don, I can listen to marches....I played them a lot in the band back in
the century before last, when I was in high school.

George