[Shotimes] OT: truck engine

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:13:13 -0500

That 300 is a very nice truck motor. Since the head is fresh, I would vote
for doing the lower-end rebuild. Check around, you may even find a good deal
on a rebuilt short block, just bolt on your head & go!

For the way the truck is outfitted, and what you use it for, the  300 sounds
perfect. If you want a performance truck, get something that already has a
V8, 2wd, a "normal" tranny without the creeper gear, etc.

I will suspect that parts for the 300, even a rebuilt short block, could be
quite inexpensive. They have been around a long time.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Justin Schick
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 7:09 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shotimes] OT: truck engine

I place high value on many of the opinions shared here and hope you guys
have some thoughts for me. Reply off list if it makes you feel better.

I've got an 85 F-150 that I don't know what I want to do with. The 300
currently in it needs a lower end rebuild. Badly. I haven't done a
compression test in fear of the results, but the rings have so much blow by
it's pushing oil out of the recently re-sealed oil pan, and that's with 2
PCV valves trying to evacuate things. I use the truck very rarely, mainly to
haul / tow / move stuff when the need presents itself, and occasionally
follow my buddies off road. I've put a cam in it (Crane, similar to the Blue
Racer) and the head is fresh. What I love about the truck the most is the
drive train. 4 speed manual with granny low, manual hubs and transfer case,
solid front axle 4X4, and I think a 9" in back.

I know that if I rebuilt the 300 I wouldn't be happy with it until I'd put
new manifolds and a real carb on it. The stock 1bbl electronc feedback unit
blows. I also know what I really want in a truck is as much torque as I can
get. If I decided to swap rather than rebuild, what would work? I assume a
302 or 351 would be a direct bolt in. I know a 460 was available in 85 but
don't know if a big block is compatible with the rest of my current set up.
If a swap is out of the question, should I just ditch this thing and start
looking for something else?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions,

Justin Schick
jschick@aafp.org
92 SHO for a daily driver
66 Mustang GT for fun