[Shotimes] Slicer Design - Moving Air

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:07:11 -0500

But a spinning wheel moves air regardless of any "blades" due to centrifugal
force. Also, when debating whether or not the slicers move air, one must
consider the aerodynamics of the vehicle, especially the fact that the
inside of the wheel will see a lower air pressure than the outside, and this
works against the directional flow of air through the wheels.

Now, I am one of the first who stood up and declared that removing the dust
shields improves air movement around the rotors and increases cooling, and I
still stick to it, but I still feel the reasons for better cooling have
squat to do with the slight angle on the slicers. I'll restate my two main
reasons:

1) A fan blade spinning in place is not the same as one spinning at speed
(our wheels spin only as the car moves forward) You get a drastically
different effect, namely an intense disruption of air flow due to vastly
different pressures seen on the side that moves in synch with the ground vs.
the other side, moving twice as fast as the car. This does, however, promote
continuous movement of air within the area inside the rim.

2) Non-"bladed" wheels that have a larger surface area between spokes
provide better cooling than the slicers. Those that have "non-aerodynamic"
spokes perform even better, lending credence to the idea that centrifugal
force plays a significant part in moving air through the wheels.

David P

95MTX

~