[Shotimes] Camry in Winston Cup 2007

Donald Mallinson dmall@mwonline.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:41:35 -0600

Ron, I agree with you on most counts, but I don't understand
the knock on Vintage racing.  I have been to several events,
and eventually I want to race an SHO in some vintage events.

Yes, it isn't all out, fender banging in a lot of cases, but
get the old pro's in cars owned by people rich enough to say
"Don't worry about wrecking it!" and they mix it up pretty
well.  The point is to see the old cars and some of the old
drivers on the track again having at it.  I don't think
ANYONE has represented "vintage" racing at any level as
anything other than fun and a chance to see and hear some
really great stuff run again at 9/10ths.

Most vintage "races" don't even have a set finish time or
lap, they through the flag at a random point so that they
can call the race over without having people foolishly
destroy sometimes priceless or irreplaceable machines.

Most vintage organizations have major rules against banging
fenders and dangerous driving.  Also, most vintage classes
do allow passing anywhere, just no banging of fenders.  The
joy as a spectator or participant is to get the old stuff
out and have fun again.  I got to see some not-so-old NASCAR
cars up close and personal at a couple of vintage events.  I
wouldn't get that chance at most NASCAR events.  Same with
Ferrari, Lotus etc cars from the past.

Don Mallinson