[Shotimes] timing belt replacement continues

Steve Weinrich stevwein@swbell.net
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 07:31:48 -0500

Of course the crank dampener is off its index mark.  You just moved it.

Unfortunately, you didn't specify in this post whether you have an ATX or an
MTX.

This is for the MTX.

Get the cams, the crank, and the belt lined up.

That means both cams at 12 o'clock (lined up with the index marks on the
inner cover),  the crank timing gear with the dimple at 5 o'clock (lined up
with the index mark on the oil pump housing), and the white marks on the
belt must be covering the gear tooth with the dimple on it on all three
gears.  Remember that the printing on the belt is upside down when you view
the engine from the front of the engine.

Now put the lower cover and the dampener back on.  The white index mark on
the dampener must be at the 0 degree BTDC mark

 Make sure that there is no slack in the belt on the right side.  Use the
tensioner to apply just enough tension so that the belt can't jump a tooth.

This is likely to be the last time you ever see the BELT's white lines line
up.  This is normal!

Now rotate the crank two revolutions.  This takes all the slack out of the
belt from the crank timing gear to the camshafts.  Set the tensioner into
the belt with the proper tension and lock it into place.  If you have
properly turned the crank two full revolutions, the cam index marks will be
lined up again and the crank dampener will be back to 0 BTDC. Disregard the
belt's marks as they became irrelevant the moment you rotated the crank.
They were only needed to put the belt on in the first place.

The ATX procedure is pretty much the same, just different in regards to the
hydraulic tensioner.

Steve