[Shotimes] timing belt replacement continues

sho2go srfdude@cox.net
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:29:29 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <masho95@attbi.com>
To: "Steve Weinrich" <stevwein@swbell.net>; <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 1:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] timing belt replacement continues

> well unfortunately i finished this up yesterday.  the
> exhaust sounds like it's pulsating now, possibly from
> off timing??  The cams can only be lined up in one
> direction right at 12 o'clock? I mean there isn't an
> exhaust and intake position right? (that'd be at 12 and
> 6 oclock right?)  Well possibly the only thing that I
> can think of is that the engine wasn't at 0 degrees
> BTDC when the belt was changed.  The mark on the crank
> was lined up with the mark on the oil pump housing.  Is
> there more than one position of the engine when that
> mark is lined up? and if so what are they?  anyone have
> a procedure for finding 0 degrees btdc for an engine
> that doesn't have the correct timing? thanks alot
I asssume you mean by the mark on the crank being lined up, its really the
timing belt pulley mark you're talking about?  There is only one position
for TDC, and its right there.  The marks on the belt are only an aid, and
are not really necessary.  In fact as soon as the motor turns over a few
times the marks no longer line up.  Make sure you torque the crank bolt to
113-125 ft/lbs.  Too loose WILL cause problems; on an ATX use a large
C-clamp on the damper to hit the frame and hold it.  MTX have someone hold
the brakes in gear while you torque the bolt. After you get the tensioner
tightened, double check the timing belt pulley/cam pulleys to make sure they
are still in time.
Mike