[Shotimes] (OT) FW: "Hillman - " You just wouldn't believe what turned up in New Hampshire (Not a Hillman)

David Rosicke d.rosicke@snet.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:01:09 -0400

More info from the list..

Dave R

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hillman@can-inc.com [mailto:owner-hillman@can-inc.com]On
Behalf Of Victor Hughes
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 8:27 PM
To: Kevin D Reid
Cc: hillman@can-inc.com
Subject: Re: "Hillman - " You just wouldn't believe what turned up in
New Hampshire (Not a Hillman)

This message forwarded by the Hillman List.

That would be the famous Daimler-Lanchester Fluid-Flywheel Pre-selector
transmission.  You select the gear, then when you want it to change, depress
the "clutch" pedal and it changes into that gear.  I never did figure out
exactly how this works, but there is an epicyclic gearbox and fluid coupling
in there somewhere which means immense power loss and totally smooth gear
shifts.  You can even pre select reverse while going flat out in top,
depress
the pedal and the car will just slow down and then start going backwards -
I've been in a Daimler with this transmission and seen it done, a very weird
feeling.

Vic.