[Shotimes] Changing strut mounts and bearings

Ron Porter ronporter@prodigy.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:33:32 -0400

You don't need the spring compressor to pull out the strut, only to change
the spring on a strut once it's removed.

UNLESS......it's like one I had that had a cockeyed strut bearing/mount that
didn't give me enough clearance to get it out of the knuckle (possibly bad
from the factory??). You can wrestle the compressor up into the strut
housing while the strut is on the car, but it's a PITA. The "good" strut
came out in 1 minutes, the "bad" one took hours.

From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Paul L Fisher
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 9:31 AM
To: TechSHO; SHOTimes
Subject: [Shotimes] Changing strut mounts and bearings

Does anyone know if I really need a spring compressor or are the Eibach's
short enough that I can do without. I know Autozone will loan me one, it's
just last time I used them there wasn't enough room to compress them while
they were still on the knuckle. I want to do this as fast as possible.

Paul L Fisher
'93 Ford Taurus SHO Crimson Clearcoat ATX 166K Build date 11/18/1992
- K&N Panel filter, Tokico Struts, Eibach Springs, Dynomax cat-back, Holley
190lph fuel pump, FPS rebuilt ATX, 26mm rear sway bar, Performance-Plus
Stainless Steel Y-pipe, Delrin sub-frame bushings, Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30
oil, Amsoil Synthetic ATF.
'00 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L V8 AWD Oxford White Clearcoat 34K Build date
11/19/1999
- Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 oil, K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit
'96 Saturn SL2 Silver Plum 5 spd 123K
- Amsoil Synthetic ATF, K&N Panel Filter, Magnecor 7mm Electrosports 70
Ignition Cables

SHO Club member http://www.shoclub.com/
Check out my web site http://paul-fisher.com/
Amsoil dealer http://www.paul-fisher.com/oil.htm