[Shotimes] OT Ford's Future Plans for 500 and performance cars

IdriveaSHO@aol.com IdriveaSHO@aol.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:44:03 EDT

Yeah, the 500 is just supposed to be a nice people hauler that we could drive
without looking like dweebs in a PT Cruiser or a 3rd gen taurus/sable(no
offense to the 3rd gen guys). Also, people that think Ford will make a return
of the SHO....um....do you realize what our cars are? They're limited
production cars with a very high tech engine in a proven platform with only a
body kit and a nicer interior to clue anyone into what they are. Only problem
with something like that is that fact that it's hard to sell a sleaper when
nobody knows it's a sleeper. Also, the cost of owning the only car that
Yamaha ever made a motor for is quite expensive, typically higher than new
car prices when it comes to buying engine parts. The SHO in the mind of
everyone at Ford is that of a huge goof up that they should have never done.
I think the fact that they made them for so long was that they had a contract
or *something* because financially that car hurt their reputation. When a
dealership starts making parts obsolete on a motor that was in a car up until
the mid 90's (what, 96 had the V6? 94?)yet still has parts for a car made in
the early 80's(mustang) then you know there is a problem. I think we should
just be happy they goofed once and we were able to benefit from it because I
don't think they'll do it again. -Steve Bowen

<< Regardless of how well they do, the SHO will not return, and the Ford 500
 was not ever presented with any performance aspirations. >>