[Shotimes] RE: Gen I vs. Gen II:::::was:Wizard of Codes::Fwd: flashing air bag light

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 03:57:27 -0400

Ford simply provided the color. The dealers mass ordered the color because
they had no problems moving the color. The color is everywhere because more
people liked it than any other color. Middle-of-the-road average people tend
to like dark colors on their cars. Bright reds and Blues are too flashy and
attract too much attention, and light colors show too much dirt. We seem to
forget that these are TAURII, cars that 99% of the time were bought to get
from point A to point B and not much else. We enthusiasts are a vast
minority by a vast margin.

As for the Gen2's, they only sold around 5,000 more cars total, even though
Ford tripled their customer base by adding an automatic. In my book, the
Gen1's wiped the Gen2 MTX's AND ATX's, just not in actual production
numbers. Again, though, thank the dealers for ordering these numbers, and
thank the average American for preferring no stick so they can talk on the
phone and eat a burger while navigating through traffic with 2.5 whiny kids
in the back seat.

Also, this IS a FWD car. Few people, even today, equate FWD with power or
performance. Ford's probably lucky they were able to sell ANY performance
vehicles so early in the FWD game. The SHO will definitely go down in the
history books as one unique car with an unusual history.

David P

95MTX

~