[Shotimes] Re: 76mm MAF with 19# injector calibration?

Cohiba cohiba@super-ford.org
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:09:18 -0700

All of C&L's testing is done on a dyno, using stock MAF electronics.
Therfore, the only test data available are the air/fuel curves they got from
their dyno tests.  Lee Bender (owner, C&L) told me they tested the 76mm on
an SHO with both the "Clear" sample tube and the "Yellow" sample tube, and
found that the "clear" sample tube will lean the mixture just slightly,
therefore creating a little bit of additional power, while the "yellow"
sample tube will run just on the rich side of a stock MAF.  According to
C&L, the voltage curve is nearly identical to the stock 86-93 Mustang 5.0
voltage curve, when using mustang sample tubes.  When using a SHO sample
tube, the voltage curve is nearly identical to a stock SHO.  As for flow vs.
pressure drop, I didn't get a set of numbers, but I do know the C&L 76mm
will flow 800 cfm maximum.  As for how it makes the stock sensor think it's
still in the stock housing, the sample tube affects air flow in such a way
that the velocity and mass of air flowing past the hot wire remains the same
as in a stock unit.

Lee seems to know his physics and his MAFs, so you might call it a crap
shoot, but the only variable should be the consistency of the stock MAF
sensor.  I, for one, am very happy with the setup, however I will still do
my own air/fuel tests on the wideband O2 sensor as soon as I can, and post
the results.

Gary
http://users.superford.org/cohiba