[Shotimes] CPS sensor

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:03:44 -0700

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:22:22 EDT, V6SHOGirl@aol.com wrote:

>I'm planning on changing my own CPS sensor tomorrow and i've already printed
>out the directions from shotimes.com. i didnt see any diagrams and i was just
>wondering if anyone on the list has a website with pictures or some sort if
>diagram on it. i just dont want to screw anything up lol TIA :-D
>
>Nancy
>1994 Red ATX named Satan

Satan......!!  LOL!!  Does it know the Plus from Hell!!??    HA!!!

You don't have the video that Mark Nunnally made a year or so ago about how to do a 60K
service?  That would be the very best thing to use.  See if someone around you doesn't
have one you can borrow.  It's great....he shows how to use the wrench to bump the bolt
loose on the damper, plus he uses an engine out of a car so you can see exactly how
things come apart.

The one thing he doesn't mention, because it wasn't a factor back then, is the importance
of torquing up the bolt when you get the damper back on.  If it isn't torqued to the
proper spec, you can have problems later with your timing belt sprocket.  With an ATX, it
is a little harder to torque the bolt.  The only way I know of that will do it for sure
is to pull the starter and wedge a 2x4 trimmed to the right shape into the flywheel ring
gear teeth, so that the engine will be locked.  If you had an MTX, you could have a
helper stomp on the brake while it was in 3rd gear, but an ATX won't lock up at all.
One person used a C-clamp on the damper, but I tried that and it bent the damper.

Try to find that video.   And, to chime in where all the others will, too....do the whole
60K service...change the belt, the waterpump, and the front seal.  You might also get the
cam sensor, since it is right in front of you with the other things out of the way.  Then
you can FORGET about the front of the engine....as long as you do it right.

I'd help if you were closer, but no one lives close to me, except the other crazy
Californians...!!

;-)

George