Floor Pan Modification? WAS: [Shotimes] SHOpping

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:37:26 -0700

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:59:27 -0400, Frank Costa wrote:

>About the floor pan issue, is this modifyable with relative ease? I am 6' 1"
>and i think i understand what you mean. But i dont have much experiance in
>driving a second gen MTX.

The seat would need to be modified, not the floor pan.  That is one of the first parts of
the car to come together during construction, and like the heater core, the whole rest of
the thing is built around it.  I've taken a manual seat mount off a seat cushion assembly
and added a power base, to give a friend power seats when his car came without them (a
Sable), and I don't remember any easy ways to shorten the height from the seat cushion to
the bolts.  A custom base would have to be found or built, and that is definitely beyond
MY capabilities, even if I had a welder.  There would have to be located a production
base that was shorter from the bottom to the top, and that, I'd bet, would be VERY hard
to find....shorter, and yet would bolt in with no mods.

The lower floor pan starts with '90 cars, which are still Gen 1.  Apparently, though they
are the same generation, many design changes were apparently made in that year to bring
them up to date (pan, dash design, EATC, anti-lock, etc.).  I get the impression that the
basic structure is the same from the very first '86s to the '89s, and the '90s got the
first large group of structural improvements since introduction of the line....our bad
luck.

George