[Shotimes] Re: 76mm MAF with 19# injector calibration?

John Weidenbenner johnjweid@earthlink.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:46:53 -0500

On the stock SHO V6 MAFS, here's some comments Jim Kempf sent me recently on
intake restrictions :

I do not have such a plot of restriction or voltage, but know that the
restriction through this should be ~ 3-4" H20 at the rated flow of the
engine.

Restriction Test:
Connect the MAFS to a flow stand with some good ol' fashion duct tape,
fashion an 'ideal entry' or 'bellmouth' at the side normally facing the
filter housing to avoid unrealistic 'entrance losses', pull air through the
housing up to the rated flow of the engine (~330 scfm or whatever you think
this is), measure the pressure drop (drop in pressure in the air compared to
atmospheric pressure).  Measurement location should be immediately
downstream of the MAFS body.    Some flow stands use pressure taps, others
use LFE (laminar or linear -- I forget -- flow elements).  Either way, this
is the only correct way to evaluate restriction in an air induction.

It is fairly well known in the industry that for naturally aspirated engines
(not turbocharged) for every 3-4" H20, the engine looses ~ 1% power.  So a
stock 220 hp SHO engine, would have 224.2 hp if it didn't need a MAFS
(neglecting frictional losses which are only a very, very small portion of
restriction).

For a larger sized Pro-M sensor to work (a bunch of guys who used to work at
our company), they must significantly recalibrate/tune the MAFS output
(voltage) to mass flow rate (kg/hr) to match the original 55 mm MAFS.  The
only exception....sometimes Pro-M, adjusts the curve slightly at the top end
to lean/richen the A/F slightly, if they know where the stock A/F ratio is
relative to 12.5:1 (typically the A/F ratio that is the best compromise that
delivers peak power).