[Shotimes] Re: 76mm MAF with 19# injector calibration

Cohiba cohiba@super-ford.org
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:23:31 -0700

I would suggest calling C&L and asking to talk to Lee to make sure you get
the information from the source, but what what I understand, and by what you
call tell just looking at the different MAFs, the 80mm Ford MAF or stock
55mm will probably have the highest pressure drop, the C&L should have very
little pressure drop, and according to Lee, has the highest maximum cfm of
any of the available MAFs for SHOs.  He did not give me specific numbers
from their flow-bench test, but he said if programming with and LPM or EEC
Tuner, to use the voltage curve from a stock 86-93 Mustang 5.0, if using the
"yellow" tube, or use stock SHO voltage curve for the "clear" tube.

The C&L 76mm MAF is designed to mimic the stock voltage curve, by keeping
air mass and velocity passing the hot wire equal to stock curve, while
decreasing pressure drop and smoothing the air flow.  They are not designed
to exactly follow the voltage curve, they are designed to reduce the voltage
curve by a percentage to make the mixture a little bit leaner than stock.
This is the same technique used by SuperChips and HyperTech for their EEC
"chips."  Using the yellow sample tube with a 76mm C&L on a SHO will mimic
the voltage curve, but will be adjusted towards the rich side, which may
decrease power (unless, like me, you use nitrous to burn that extra fuel),
however HP should also be opened by the smoother air flow and reduced
pressure drop.  As for what the SHOtimes website has to say about these MAF
creating a "linear" effect on the curve, that is simply not true, or if it
is, I have never seen the flow-bench results to prove it.

The going price on a brand new C&L 76mm starts at $140 for just the housing.
They are usually more, because the Mustang owners like to have the C&L
"power tube" which is basically a metal tube to go between the MAF and TB,
which has a built in nitrous-bung.  Those usually cost around $170.  I got
this particular 76mm for $20, brand new, which is why I decided to give it a
try.  So far, it's the best MAF I've ever had on either SHO.

I understand being skeptical, but so far, it has worked great for me, and
I'll try to get some dyno test results to back it up.  If I had unlimited
resources and money, I'd buy a 90mm Lightning MAF, have it flow-bench
tested, then use Jason King's SCTuner to set the exact flow bench results to
my SHO with the 90mm MAF.  That would be a nice intake.  Of course, then I'd
need ported TB, intake, heads, and probably a bigger displacement engine...
okay, so I guess what I'm saying is that with unlimited resources and money,
I probably wouldn't be driving a SHO.  But for the money, this setup seems
to be the way to go.

Gary
http://users.superford.org/cohiba