[Shotimes] has anyone helicoiled a cam bearing thread ?

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@mindspring.com
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 01:33:19 -0400

Don,

I have been repairing Machine Tools for over twenty years and I have found
that the coil type of inserts are not a permanent fix.  I do not suggest
using a coil style thread restorer unless that is the only style that you
can use due to space restrictions.  The only correct way to restore a
stripped or pulled thread is to use what is sometimes called a "Keylocking
Insert" One type of these is KEENSERT brand.  Instead of being manufactured
as a coil of steel, it is one solid piece with keys embedded in the sides.
The installation is the same as installing a coil insert, except that after
you are finished, the keys are driven in and lock the insert into the hole.
If you follow the instructions and sink the top surface of the Keensert
about .050 below the surface of the part being repaired, it will not come
out. PERIOD  If you look at the way that a KEENSERT is constructed you will
understand why.

I hope I didn't bore anyone this time being too technical.

Let the flames fly!

Jim
'93 MTX not green ;-}