[Shotimes] Gas Brands Was Re: Gen I vs. Gen II

Bill Murray fordsho@cloud9grafx.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:59:16 -0400

My uncle's brother works on the fire brigade at the refineries that we
have here in New Jersey in the Edison/South Amboy area.  As he puts it,
all that gas comes in on the same ship, goes through the same pipes and
into tanks with different names on it.  It's all the same gas, just
different additives are put in once if gets into the tanks.  He's even
told me that some of the "discount gas" is the same thats in the brand
stuff too.  I think the only exception to this may be Sunoco's ultra 94,
but I'm not sure.  Does anyone else have a 94?  I know there are some
stations, I think its a Sunoco in the Philly area that has a 101 or
something like that.  I buy name brand gas, but don't really have a
preference, there are a lot of Mobiles around here so thats what I
usually get just because of convenience and price.

Bill Murray

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of BJamesjr@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 5:40 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Re: Gen I vs. Gen II

> Around my area there is very little difference in the brand of gas.
There
> are two pipelines in the area and they only have about 10
> tanks at the
> terminals.

There was a story on the history channel a few weeks ago about pipelines
and gasoline distribution.  They said that the pipelines were sort of
like "common carriers", and all the companies could use them.  They said
they would pump one thing for awhile, then switch over to something else
and they would get very little intermixing at the interface between the
different liquids, but they would take the liquid that they thought to
be mixed and sell it to industries that didn't care if they had diesel
an gasoline mixed.

They did say that gasolines were closer to the same than the company's
advertising would admit to, although they do mix in specific additives
for different companies before it goes into the trucks.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---