[Shotimes] Re: Gen I vs. Gen II

Jim and Debbie Leyden jndleyden@mindspring.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:56:31 -0400

That would probably be the shipping industry.  Ships can burn almost
anything that is flamable.  IIRC there is a plug that is pushed through the
pipeline called a "pig" that is supposed to seperate the liquids but since
the plug has to be flexible, there is some mixing   from what is behind the
plug into what is in front of it.  At least that is the way a BP Pipeline
guy explained it to me years ago.

Jim
'93 MTX
ready to move farther south...

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of BJamesjr@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 5:40 PM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Re: Gen I vs. Gen II

> Around my area there is very little difference in the brand of gas.  There
> are two pipelines in the area and they only have about 10
> tanks at the
> terminals.

There was a story on the history channel a few weeks ago about pipelines and
gasoline distribution.  They said that the pipelines were sort of like
"common carriers", and all the companies could use them.  They said they
would pump one thing for awhile, then switch over to something else and they
would get very little intermixing at the interface between the different
liquids, but they would take the liquid that they thought to be mixed and
sell it to industries that didn't care if they had diesel an gasoline mixed.

They did say that gasolines were closer to the same than the company's
advertising would admit to, although they do mix in specific additives for
different companies before it goes into the trucks.