[Shotimes] Re: help.....valve chatter and rod knock...

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 05:24:26 -0800

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:12:45 -0500, Erik Balser wrote:

>Exactly what doing rod bearings that are failing sound like? Or is there a
>way to tell how bad they are without pulling the pan? And what's the average
>life, mileage wise, for a set of rod bearings? Thanks

When the bad bearinged rod gets hit by the spark plug (actually by the power stroke), it
makes a banging sound.  When the pisto hits the head because there is excess clearance
between the journal and the bearing cap, there is a HUGE banging sound.  If the engine is
decelerating...pull the gas off, the sound will almost go away, but there will remain a
bit of a thud.  As soon as you give it gas, it starts banging away again.

I took delivery of a car with a spun rod, and was able to drive it up on the trailer to
take it home, and also drove it into the shop where I was going to try to swap it out.
LOTS of banging.  There is no doubt when that happens to a rod.

I still haven't taken it apart....the short block has been replaced.  I'll do that
sometime soon, and post pictures.

George