[Shotimes] Re: help.....valve chatter and rod knock...

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:40:41 -0500

I was under the impression that a lot of the banging was the result of
the rod slapping against the crank since there is slop with a spun
bearing..

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of George Fourchy
Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 8:24 AM
To: shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shotimes] Re: help.....valve chatter and rod knock...

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:12:45 -0500, Erik Balser wrote:

>Exactly what doing rod bearings that are failing sound like? Or is
>there a way to tell how bad they are without pulling the pan? And
>what's the average life, mileage wise, for a set of rod bearings?
>Thanks

When the bad bearinged rod gets hit by the spark plug (actually by the
power stroke), it makes a banging sound.  When the pisto hits the head
because there is excess clearance between the journal and the bearing
cap, there is a HUGE banging sound.  If the engine is
decelerating...pull the gas off, the sound will almost go away, but
there will remain a bit of a thud.  As soon as you give it gas, it
starts banging away again.

I took delivery of a car with a spun rod, and was able to drive it up on
the trailer to take it home, and also drove it into the shop where I was
going to try to swap it out.
LOTS of banging.  There is no doubt when that happens to a rod.

I still haven't taken it apart....the short block has been replaced.
I'll do that sometime soon, and post pictures.

George