[Shotimes] Are you guys dead!?

Steve Tatro stevetatro@att.net
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:28:55 -0500

Okay, story time.

Saturday in beautiful Middletown, Ohio, I was on my way to the local
golf course.  Was out on SR 63, a 4-lane, divided, 55mph highway, and
came to a stop light, right beside a new silver Turbo Beetle that just
blew by me.  The driver was the typical punk-looking kid, teenie
girlfriend in the passenger seat.  The light is at a slight incline, and
this kid thought it was cool to rock back-and-forth, revving his engine
and letting it roll back a bit.  He was staring over at me, smerk on his
face, almost scoffing at what he thought was a bright red family car,
with yellow calipers peeking through 5-star alloy rims, and the chrome
dual exhaust tips.  Was probably thinking it was some half-baked
American rice.

So, since he's staring me down, I decide to rev the engine.  Of course
it didn't sound like much as it bounced off the 4k rev limiter, but what
the hell.  I smiled back.  Put it back in drive and torque-braked a bit,
anticipating the light.  Light turns green and we're off.  I get a
couple of hops from the front tires, but they grip very quickly and I'm
off.  Was probably about 5' in front of him at the 60' mark, and by that
point the race was over.  I took it up to 80mph, at which point I was a
good 3 car lengths in front of him and he finally backed off.  I slowed
down to the speed limit, thinking he would come up to wave, or at least
blow by me like that was going to prove something!  Nope.  He slowed
down even further.  I finally eased down to 45mph, just to get him to
come alongside so I could wave, but no way was he going to come
side-by-side and acknowledge me.  Oh, well.

I had to turn off about a mile further down the road, and as he finally
went by me I waved out my sunroof.  No response.  Not sure if his little
girlfriend told him to ignore me because she was embarassed for him or
what ;^)

Anyway, it's not the greatest kill in terms of powerful machinery.  I
realize he probably wasn't the greatest driver of his manual tranny car.
It was a fair start, and I kicked his ass.

What makes a kill great, at least in my mind, isn't how fast the other
car is.  It's how fast the driver of the other car *thinks* it is!

And then they experience, first hand, death by SHO.

Later,

Steve Tatro
Red/Black '93 with 163k miles
Cincinnati, Ohio