[Shotimes] Re: help.....valve chatter and rod knock...

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:52:57 -0500

You've thought wrong, then. A 7,000 rpm redline has not been exclusive to
the SHO. Even my motorcycles have had zero rod bearing issues. Low rpm
diesel Cummins motors are a hell of a lot harder on their rod bearings than
our SHO's will ever be. The rod bearings are too small for a 7k rpm, 220hp,
3400lb car. They decided to sacrifice durability for rotating mass,
obviously, and came up on the short end of the durability stick. If these
were race cars, I wouldn't care, but they are not. 60k mile failure of rod
bearings is simply not acceptable for a street automobile, PERIOD. Not one,
not two, ZERO. We are not talking defect failures here. The failures have
been because the rod bearings were past their life cycle. This is not
acceptable just because the car has a 7k redline.

David P

95MTX

~