[Shotimes] Windshield replacement

David P jpotter8@bellsouth.net
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:09:04 -0500

Safety glass is indeed tempered glass, but the reason you might not want to
use Bon Ami may be due to chemical attack rather than scratch resistance.
Pyrex glass, at least in the laboratory, is used for it's chemical
resistance properties over regular glass. I do not know if this applies to
Corning's cookware glass. At any rate, tempered glass should be able to
withstand most abrasive cleaners.

Except for one problem. The windshield "safety glass" is a laminate of glass
and plastic, and the glass may or may not be tempered.

Which brings up an interesting topic for you weight savers. Can't wait to
replace all that heavy glass with plastics that are scratch-resistant enough
to count:

http://www.glasslinks.com/newsinfo/auto_plastic.htm

I still say they should develop a method for depositing crystalline glass
onto plastic, though. 99.9% plastic, 0.1% glass should be light enough. Of
course, there's always transparent aluminum/ceramics. Even lighter, yet adds
strength to the car's frame if you bolt it in. They need to work out the
whole denting thing, though. Some perfection of the transparency would be
desired, too. How about wrap-around OLED displays in place of windows? It's
apparently a feasible option, as I've never seen a UFO that had windows.

David P

95MTX

~