[Shotimes] Block heater

Timothy Wright twright@one-eleven.net
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:07:06 -0600

I used to live in a few damn cold places without a garage.  All the methods
described work well. Nice thing about 0w-30 oil is it works well when you
have parked at work out side for 10 hours.

A block heater heats the AF but not the oil. It is lack of lub that wipes
bearings not cold AF, because the block is warm but the sump is cold to me
it helps start but does noting for cold start bearing wear.

You can get a oil stick heater that warms the oil but I don't think they are
well made and when one puts warm oil in a cold block and you have cold oil
any way.

It is just as important to have a warm battery as a warm block. Cold
batteries lose 3/4 of their amps. I had success putting two 100W trouble
lights - one under each exhaust header over night. Everything was warm in
the morning.

Engine starts right up, oil and water and battery are all warm. I don't have
to drain the antifreeze to put in a block heater and risk a leak.

I don't know what it costs to run (2) 100W lights from when I got home to
4:30 am but it was worth it. Hit the key and the engine fires up like it is
June. Worst case you can always buy a 3rd trouble light.

Tim