[Shotimes] Re: help.....valve chatter and rod knock...

George Fourchy George Fourchy" <krazgeo@jps.net
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:52:59 -0800

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:40:41 -0500, Ian Fisher wrote:

>I was under the impression that a lot of the banging was the result of
>the rod slapping against the crank since there is slop with a spun
>bearing..

I think that is the normal impression we have, but it didn't occur to me that the piston
would hit the head until I saw the results.  I'd bet that part of the noise is louder
than that coming from the journal, since the amount of movement is a lot greater with the
piston than with the rod/journal.

I'm sure it makes noise too...just like worn main bearings will make a thudding sound,
but the piston seems like a lot more of a hammering sound.

George