[Shotimes] Re: help.....valve chatter and rod knock...

BJamesjr@aol.com BJamesjr@aol.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:38:22 EST

>    It's probably a mixture of both.  Width of a std size bearing shell is
>like .057", which if you take that out of the equation the piston/rod travel
>that much higher up in the stroke, which whacks the piston against the head,
>on the sides of the CC.  And yes the rod is banging around on the crank to.

In most production engines there is enough tolerance in the deck height that
the piston won't hit the head until a significant amount of the bearing is
gone.  I have seen lots of spun bearings and you have to be pretty bad off
for the bearing to be over half gone.  So at first you probably are hearing
the big end of the rod bouncing around on the crankshaft rod journal.