[Shotimes] Slight ticking from below intake

Jeremy Grimm forge_monkey@hotmail.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:20:31 -0500

Well lemme tell ya...

My 89...had stage 1 cams put in at 8k (so this just might invalidate my
point but...) I then did the 60k service at 62k miles. When I pulled the
valve covers to do the lash adj, you will never guess what I found.

EVERY single valve was out of spec. But it gets worse...2 shims had a hole
the size of a dime blown through them and 4 others were VERY concave, and
all of the rest of the shims were showing wear.

Now what did this all translate into? $2300 worth of repairs. I had to
replace all 4 cams and have both the front and rear head rebuit. The valve
buckets (for the 2 shims with holes in em) had been tore up bad!

Now...had the previous owner had the lash checked when he first heard the
valve train ticking...all of this hassle and cost could have been avoided.
It really isn't that hard to do the lash adjustment. I did it myself in a
weekend.

And all you need are a good set of tools and the confidence to turn a
wrench.

Now if you can get your hands on a Helm's manual...and or the Nunnaly 60k
video that's even better. When I set out to do this project I had 0
experience working on the SHO engine. So with that in mind...

Save yourself the heartache later of having to replace the cams...check that
Lash every 60k.

Man that sure sounded preachy...sorry guys...

Hmm...I need a distraction....

LOOK -------->BEER!

Jeremy Grimm
89 sho