[Shotimes] Trunk latch issue

Ian Fisher ianf@eden.rutgers.edu
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 06:46:22 -0400

Yeah...that about just...umm..takes the cake.

And I thought that I had problems.

:)

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: shotimes-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:shotimes-admin@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Ron Porter
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 9:56 PM
To: Shotimes
Subject: [Shotimes] Trunk latch issue

This is to see if anyone else has had this weird problem, I had not seen
it before.

Last weekend, in the middle of the ice storm, I unlocked my trunk with
the key, and as it opened, the whole latch fell off the trunk lid!
Having other stuff to worry about, I drove around a few days with a
bungee cord holding it down. Upon closer inspection, there were two
jagged holes on the lid where the bolts should go. Further inspection
shows the bolts still attached to the latch mechanism.

The bolts are rectangular (sorta like pieces of trident gum), and my
guess is that they are tacked-welded to the lid. Mine broke free, and
left the big holes. I ended up getting some big washers, which I
inserted inside the lid, and used the old nuts behind that. I've got it
to where it will stay down and release with the lever (after a bunch of
fiddling). The key won't work, but I believe I thought of why, in that
the tack-welded nuts kept the latch spaced away from the trunklid, now I
have it flush and the little lever is probably binding. I'll space it
out some tomorrow.

It's always somethin'!!