[Shotimes] exhaust stud?

Bruce Malachuk bmalach1@nycap.rr.com
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:29:22 -0400

Well it turns out that I actually unscrewed the stud from the manifold
on one of the front ones. I don't know how the hell I did it, but I'm
betting that I beggared up the stud mounting hole when I did so. I'm
going to go looking around for the studs that Ron used as I think that
they would make it significantly easier to drop the y-pipe in the future
as they won't be all rusty. Ron any suggestions on where I can find
those particular type of studs?

Outta curiosity, does anyone know if there are stainless steel stud sets
out there with stainless hardware? That way I would think that rust
would not be a problem ever again in the future.

Also can the 3.0 front manifold's come off the car while the engine is
still in the car? Or for that matter can the rear manifold come off too
with the engine in the car? I'd like to take them to someone with a
torch and pull the studs out and redo all four if I'm going to do it.
Course I'm prolly making more work for myself than I need to.

 Bruce

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Porter [mailto:ronporter@prodigy.net]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 7:25 PM
To: 'Bruce Malachuk'; shotimes@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] exhaust stud?

Yep, I broke all 4 studs!!

When drilling them out, your hopes for saving the threads are about nil.

Look at my site for the GM studs I used under the Rod Bearing Job:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=rsporter

Using 3" studs would make it easier, but the 2.5" do work.

Basically, I put a nut above & below the stud to hold it to the
manifold,
then the third stud holds up the y-pipe. The original threads in the
manifold were drilled out and were obviously worthless.